APN (Access Point Name) is a name for a gateway between a GSM, GPRS, 3G or 4G network and another computer network, usually a public network (Internet).
At MTN the APN is sold a service called the private APN which allows customers to have their own private network (of SIM cards) riding on the MTN GSM/GPRS/3G/4G network. The private APN allows one to have a private range of IPs that can be allocated to one’s SIM cards and be able to communicate with each other if they are attached on the MTN Network.
Common uses of the private APN.
- Connecting two private networks located in geographically isolated areas.
- Connecting mobile devices back to a LAN network or server for data collection in real time.
- Creating a WAN type of a private network of mobile devices (for small mobile businesses).
- WAN extension for areas where fixed line/media networks cannot reach (for big corporations)
- Network is private and secure
- Quicker setup time, no need for laying cables
- Prioritization of private APN traffic compared to other APNs, e.g. public APN
- Cheaper data rates (APN without internet)
Apply for the service via your Key Account Manager (KAM) or dial 78081001 or send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org